St Brigid’s Church
13 Medic Street, Collie 6225
Phone: 9734 2183
Fr. Adolfo (Jaybee) Bonghanoy.MSP
Vigil Mass, 6.00pm
Sunday Mass, 10.00am
Reconciliation/Confession, Saturday 5.00pm
Bible Study, Tuesdays 7.00pm, Parish Hall
Holy Hour, Fridays 3.00 -4.00pm, Church
A Brief History
St Brigid’s parish was established in 1899.
The Catholic community is proud to have a living tradition with this rich past in the Presentation Sisters who came here in 1902 and are very much with us still. The Franciscan Friars have served the parish since 1960 and the Franciscan sisters came in 1981. We are now joined by the Good Samaritan Sisters.
- In 1899 St Brigid’s Parish was established. First Parish Priest was Fr Patrick Briody.
- April 1900: Dedication of the first church. End of 1900 small presbytery built.
- 1902: Arrivals of Presentation Sisters to open first school.
- November 1902: Father D O’Donnell appointed in charge of parish.
- August 1903: Blessing and opening of convent.
- 1913: School hall built.
- 1921: New Presbytery build.
- June 1936: New brick church blessed and dedicated.
- 1953: Extensions to convent school blessed and opened.
- 1955: Blessing and official opening of St Edmund’s Christian Brothers’ College.
- June 1960: First parish paper called the “Ave Maria” was published.
- October 1960: Parish was handed over to the Franciscan Fathers.
- August 1962: Presentation Sisters diamond jubilee.
- April 1965: St Mary’s Church, Darkan blessed and opened.
- May 1979: New convent opened.
- 1981: Arrival of FMM Sisters to the town.
- 1987: Christian Brothers leave Collie.
- July 1991: History made in Collie with the ordination to the priesthood of Brother Leo Grigg.
- July 1996: A thanksgiving Mass to honour 95 years of service by the Presentation Sisters who left the school in 1995.
- December 1996: Farewell and thanksgiving Eucharist for FMM Sisters who left WA.
- July 1997: Blessing dedication of stained glass windows by Bishop Peter Quinn.